NEW National Professional Qualification (NPQ) for Headship
For school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
We’re pleased to be continuing to partner with education charity Ambition Institute, Beckfoot Trust and Dixons Academies Trust to deliver the new NPQ for Headship. Within 12 months, participants will develop the knowledge that underpins expert school leadership and apply it to become outstanding headteachers.
What are National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)?
National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) are the most widely recognised qualifications in the education sector for current and aspiring leaders. NPQs are open to all teachers and leaders in schools in England and Wales.
What our leaders will learn:
- How to combine insight and practice to drive change
- How to put what you learn into practice in your school context
- At a time and pace that suits their existing timetable.
Benefits to our schools:
- Create confident school leaders
- Learn from the latest evidence
- Transform pupil outcomes.
Why were the NPQs reformed?
The reformed National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) offer teachers and leaders clearer development opportunities and career progression. These qualifications will build on key areas of the Early Career Framework (ECF), allowing for further specialisation and development of expertise and help prepare teachers and leaders for the next step in their careers.
The reformed qualifications aim to:
- Help teachers hone and develop the skills they already have, helping them to become more effective leaders inside and outside the classroom and improving overall teaching quality.
- Retain high-calibre teachers by offering clearer development opportunities and career progression.
Why this programme?
Ambition Institute’s new National Professional Qualification (NPQ) for Headship gives you the chance to put evidence-based school leadership methods into practice and drive change in your school setting. It also offers the opportunity to focus on specific headship challenges in your school or trust.
This is one of six new and reformed NPQs that have been developed as a series. They share the same common language and framework to help drive improvement across schools.
We know that schools’ and trusts’ needs vary. So the programmes are designed with flexibility in mind and can be completed at a time that suits you best and fits in with your existing role. Through Steplab, the innovative personal development platform built for teachers, by teachers, you will have access to your modules and practice activities to help you get better faster.
Enjoy flexible learning
This programme is designed to fit around your timetable and most of the work can be completed at times that suit you.
Learn crucial skills and sector knowledge
All the knowledge you’ll learn on this programme is drawn from a single, evidence-based framework shared by other educators across England.
Learning that sticks
Develop the knowledge and skills to work to the best of your ability and tackle the complexities and challenges of your daily role.
Drive habit change
Embedding new habits can be tricky. Ambition Institute’s dual modules help you to apply what you learn, connecting theory to practice, to help those habits stick. Insight modules capture the very best the sector has to contribute on a given topic. Application modules help you to use the ideas in context, with support from peers.
Create confident school leaders
Headteachers are equipped with school-focused leadership knowledge, which they can use to establish a culture and conditions where staff and pupils can thrive.
Underpinned by the latest evidence
The framework for the new NPQ for Headship was developed using the latest evidence on effective professional development for teachers and leaders, approved by the Education Endowment Fund (EFF).
Participants learn alongside colleagues whose context is similar, facilitated by delivery partners who know and understand your needs.
Create a common knowledge base
All of Ambition Institute’s NPQs are aligned, meaning teachers and leaders share a common language and framework to drive improvement in their school.
Transform pupil outcomes
Education Policy Institute research shows that high quality professional development can improve pupil outcomes almost as effectively as having a teacher with 10 years’ experience in the classroom.
What you’ll learn
This programme develops your knowledge and skills in the 10 areas listed in the Department for Education’s NPQ Headship Framework.
You will learn how to:
- Set clear goals and communicate shared values that improve classroom and school culture
- Transform pupils’ knowledge, capabilities and beliefs about learning
- Create a fair and structured approach to learning and testing
- Establish a safe and positive environment for pupils
- Support colleagues to meet individual needs and make sure all pupils have access to a rich curriculum
- Lead school-wide professional development for staff
- Establish good financial, human and educational resource management
- Make and act on evidence-informed decisions
- Work well with parents, carers, other schools and the wider community
- Lead by example, be accountable for decisions and make sure staff know their professional responsibilities.
How you’ll learn
The content is delivered through blended learning. This includes real-time, interactive online sessions, Covid-safe face-to-face conferences and self-guided modules you can fit around your timetable. You will put what you learn into practice in your school and be able to track your progress and get feedback as you go. The programme also includes coaching and peer learning.
Note: programme content is subject to change
The assessment window starts at the end of the 18-month programme and runs for three months. During this time, participants will be given an eight-day window to sit an ‘open book’ style assessment in which they respond to a short case study.
There are two assessment windows every year, and participants can sit the assessment two times if they need to.
You need to complete the course to qualify for the NPQ accreditation.
Ambition Institute will offer a webinar and live clinic in advance of the assessment window to support participants.